Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Self-Image can self-destruct



Pinned Image

















When I was in college, I was heavy. Probably pushing 190, although I stopped getting on the scale once I saw 180. I've lost and gained weight in the (holy crap) 10 years since graduating college. Even when I was at my lowest weight of 115 pounds, I looked in the mirror and saw that fat girl. Maybe my hips were a little too wide, maybe my thighs weren't as toned as I would like; it didn't really matter what my body actually looked like. I was going to find that fat girl inside of me no matter what.

I'm still doing it. I'm not looking in the mirror and celebrating my successes from last week, instead I'm beating myself up because of what I didn't accomplish last week. I didn't lose enough, I'm all sorts of jiggly, etc. When my manfriend tells me that I look hot, or he loves the shape of my leg, arm, face, whatever (He really loves everything about me. Except maybe my nagging!), I hear him, but I don't listen. I know that I'm not the only person who does this.

When you look in the mirror what do you see? Do you see the gentle slope of your belly from having your children? Do you see your slightly less than perky breasts that you used to feed your baby? Do you see flabby upper arms that are strong and get you through your day? Do you tell yourself when I lose 5 pounds I can wear that shirt, or if I lose 10 pounds I'll finally look "good"?

This week, on top of trying to work out and be fit, I am also going to try to love me a little more. Accept those compliments from my husband. Be proud of what I'm doing.

Do you need help with your self-image? Here's a very helpful website. http://www.mybodygallery.com/index.html You can plug in your weight and height and other measurements and see what other women your shape and size look like. I guarantee you that you will be surprised.

Homework (optional, I'm not here to make you do anything that you don't want to do):
Find 5 things that you like about your body. It can be as small as your eyes or your hair for now. As you progress in your fitness journey, you'll add to the list.
Here's mine:
  1. I like my eye color.
  2. I have nice hair.
  3. I've got a pretty nice rack.
  4. My biceps are strong and shapely.
  5. Um...I think my feet are cute (my mom would probably beg to differ here and point out my hammer toes, but whatevs. I likes what I likes).

No comments:

Post a Comment