Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Weight Loss Tools

this is from pinterest yo. you should check it out.

OK. It looks like I've got a lot of people aboard this train with me for this month's Be Inspired goal of being more fit a la Kendra. I've gotten some questions about what I'm doing, so I wanted to share with you some of the tools that I am using this month to help me monitor what I'm doing.

For starters, you need some sort of benchmark of your weight and/or measurements. I'll share with you my weight (but be nice because I totally just got my period and a bitch will cut you)...140. I am also doing measurements because my body likes to lie to me about my progress, and my weight loss tends to be pretty slow. So, I recorded my starting measurements at my waist, hips (which I measured at 9 inches below my belly button), right and left arm, and right and left thigh. Some people would throw bust measurement in there but I don't really care about that. If you do, go ahead and add it.

Next, you need to figure out how many calories a day you can consume at your current weight to maintain. Here is a calculator: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ Plug your crap in there to figure out your Basal Metabolic Rate (or BMR). Then click the Daily Calorie Needs hyperlink to figure out what you need to consume to maintain. This will give you a formula based on your activity level.

So, for me weighing in in the welter weight class at 140, my BMR 1428.5. I am planning on being moderately active, and exercising 3-5 times a week, so I multiply 1428.5 x 1.55 to get 2214.175. I'm just going to round that down to 2214.

Are you with me so far? Next, we need to figure out a deficit. Experts say that a pound is 3500 calories, so in order to burn one pound a week, you need to create a deficit of 500 calories a day. For my example above, I should consume 1714 calories. I'd like my weight loss to progress a little faster than that, so I am shooting for a deficit of 750 calories per day or 1464 calories per day. Super duper.

So what do you do with all that information? Well you write it down goofball.

I am using this calorie tracking chart that I downloaded from mommydaze.com here http://www.mommiedaze.com/calorie-tracking-chart-free-printable. Print out a bunch or make copies or something. And then fill it in. Every day, everything you eat. And drink, because margaritas ain't free to buy and they ain't free for calories either. Damn. You should also record your water consumption (drink so much that you pee all the time) and exercise (until you're weak).

If you need more help with that last chart, let me know and I will make fun of you provide an example for you of one that I filled out.

No comments:

Post a Comment