Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Vegetarian "Crab" Rangoons

Nom, nom, nom
I heart crab Rangoons. The friedness. The cream cheese. The duck sauce. Only one problem. The crab :(
Are you a sad vegetarian who can't eat delicious crab Rangoons? Turn that frown upside down my little plant consumer. Because I have brought to you a very special recipe for vegetarian crab Rangoons. Well, there's not any crab of course, but Rangoon just sounds silly. If you say it enough, it loses all meaning. Rangoon, Rangoon, Rangoon, Rangoon. Poof. Gone.

Anyway. I totally digress. Here's what you need:

I didn't have any "regular" carrots, so I used 3 baby carrots.
  • 1 package refrigerated won tons. I found mine by the tofu.
  • 1 8 ounce package of cream cheese, room temp. (You could substitute a lower fat version if you'd like, but it doesn't cook up as nice)
  • 1 carrot, shredded
  • 1 T minced garlic (alternately two cloves garlic finely minced)
  • 1 small onion, grated
  • 1 T soy sauce or tamari
  • 1/2 T oil
  • a little bit of water in a bowl or cup or some sort of water holding vessel
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Mix all your ingredients together to create the filling.
Mix, mix, mix.
Lay out one won ton wrapper and add one teaspoon of filling in the center of wrapper. Moisten the outer edges of the won ton square with water (I just dipped my finger in the water). This helps the wrapper form a nice seal. Fold the won ton wrapper closed, creating a triangle. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Arrange those bad boys on a cookie sheet and brush with oil. I used safflower oil, but you can use whatever you have on hand.
I hate my pink counter tops.
Cook for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with whatever you like to dip in. I like the tiny packets of duck sauce that comes when you order Chinese food. And if that shit has actual ducks in it, I don't want to know. M'kay?

And, because I love you, and I needed to be able to record my calories on my daily intake log, I figured that out for you (me). Assuming you followed the directions above and created 26 Rangoons as I did (two were not pictured above) then each "crab" Rangoon has approximately 38.5 calories. Eat a bunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment